Monday, 5 November 2012

Essie Sole Mate

Hi everyone! I hope that you all had a great weekend and if you live in a Daylight Savings Time area you remembered to turn your clocks back! Gotta love that extra hour of sleep.

Essie Sole Mate is one of the first Essie's I ever bought when I first started getting into nail polish, and it's probably one of my only impulse buys. I usually consult makeupalley and nail blogs before spending money on a polish, but I was young and unafraid at the time.

3 coats, no topcoat

Sole Mate is a deep plum jelly. It's one of those colours that can easily be mistaken for black in certain lights, which I know a lot of people like, but I'm just not a huge fan of. I'm in the camp of "if I want to look like I'm wearing black nail polish, I'll wear black nail polish"! Luckily, Sole Mate does have a strong purple pigment to it, so this isn't a huge problem.

The formula is extremely streaky and thin, it takes a least three coats for opacity. As you can see Sole Mate is SHINY. I didn't use topcoat so I could show you just how reflective this polish is. You can even see the reflection of my arm and shirt in some nails!

Even though Environment Canada predicted a lovely sunny day today, it turns out we're actually getting full cloud cover and snow! So, all of the above pictures are unfortunately taken under the clouds.

While I don't regret buying Sole Mate those many moons ago, it will never be at the top of my favourites list. It is a great colour for this time of year when the mood calls for vampy shades though!

Do you usually impulse buy your polish or do you research the colour a bit?

26 comments:

  1. Ooohh this is gorgeous! I love plum!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plum is one of the prettiest colours I think! :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty color! :-)
    When I first got into nail polishes, I just bought them without checking swatches first. I totally learned from my mistake though, cause I ended up with colors I didn't expect. Now-a-days, I check multiple swatches before I decide to buy a color. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the exact same way! We learn from our polish mistakes, haha :)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty color! :) I'm not much into almost black shades either I think the same way if I want it to look black ill just wear black LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEED THAT POLISH!!! So gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever seen this color! It's so rich & beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh really? I *think* that it's a part of the core line, so you might be able to hunt it down if you like it! :)

      Delete
  6. It's such a rich shade and looks really good on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing swatches! this is such a gorgeous jelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of wicked... One of my first Essie's! Haha but it's very pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought it I had both this one and Wicked in my hand to choose from! Haha, we had good taste for our first Essie's! :)

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous color!! It's so perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Jamie! It definitely is the perfect fall colour!

      Delete
  10. Such a lovely colour for this time of year. Its got a nice vampy edge to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou! It's definitely a great vampy colour!

      Delete
  11. That's such a beautiful color and oh so shiny, I was shocked when you said you didn't use a top coat. Sadly, I find myself a bit disappointed when polishes take more than two coats to reach the desired color. Are all Essie polishes like that I wonder?

    x
    http://thescarletjamie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essies can be hit or miss - some of their polishes are absolutely flawless and perfect after 1 or 2 coats, and others take a few more. That's why I always like to check out reviews before buying to know what I'm getting myself in to! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one and will respond to all. :)
If you want to leave a link to your blog or website please send me an e-mail rather than leaving it in the comments - I would love to check it out! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...